Wednesday, January 29, 2014

#28 First Baptism

Wednesday, January 29, 2014


Hello Everyone, 
It has been another week in not so cold Philippines trying to learn a language that is nothing like I have ever heard before.  But despite this I love being here.  I am learning so much about the atonement and what the savior has done for us.  I thank him for his sacrifice every day and I strive to be like him.  It has been interesting this last week.  All God asks is that we strive not to overwork ourselves or beat ourselves up for the efforts that we have exerted.  We don't always give a perfect effort but I know that because of Christ the effort that we give is perfect.  Let me give you an example.  My companion and I both just hit our six month mark.  I don't know cebuano that good and my companion doesn't know the doctrines all that well, but because of the Lord we are able to help these people come closer to Christ.  I am not perfect but I know that because of the help from the Lord I am doing just fine. My baptism went  well.  It went a little too well.  When we were filling up the font we were with our bishop and he said that the water level looked good so we turned the water off and got everything else ready.  When I stepped in the water it only came to my knee.  Luckily the kid that I baptized, Randulf, is only eleven.  The baptism went fine and when I stepped out I realized that my garments didn't even get wet.  I realized I could use them for like three more days:) My zone leaders' names are Elder Fabiano and Elder Hale, both from Utah. Elder Fabiano was my trainer.  In the mission we call our trainers our fathers or Tatay in bisaya. After hearing about Elder Benjamin I am now going to make sure that I drink more water and less soda.  The main drink here in the Philippines is Coca-Cola so there is a lot of it and it is allowed in our mission.  Something interesting, I have probably drank more coke here in the Philippines than anywhere else. The ward here was at first not supportive at all because of the last missionaries that were in here, but they are super awesome now.  The whole bishopric had dinner at the first councilor’s house and they invited us too.  It was really awesome.  Our bishop said that he had never been like this with any other missionaries.  He liked that we were good people and willing to work.  It has been awesome. We have gotten other dinner appointments too, we have just eaten very simple food like rice with leave soup.  I am serious when I say leave soup.  All they do is boil some water with some leaves in it and that is what they put on their rice. I have also had some fish and here we just eat the skin the meat and the bones.  It was very hard to adjust to at first and I still try to avoid it.  When we are in the apartment we try to not have rice so that we can still be healthy. Today for p-day we are going to cook some fish and eat rice as a zone.  It will just be fun hanging out with everyone. Hope everyone is doing good.

Love,

Elder Roskelley


No comments:

Post a Comment