Wednesday, January 22, 2014

#27 "Ha, I am invincible."

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Hey everyone,

This week like all has been awesome.  One thing that was really funny that happened on Sunday was with me and my companion and the other companionship that is in our ward.  We were waiting in front of the church and my companion pretended to shoot one of the other missionaries.  The other missionary, Elder James, yelled, "Ha, I am invincible."  My Filipino companion then yelled, "Ha, I can still see you."  It was very funny and the two Americans just started laughing.  This is just one example of what challenges you face while learning a language. My companion is pretty good at english but sometimes I have to use bisaya because he understands that better.  We are encouraged to use english inside the apartment and bisaya outside so that both cultures can learn a new language. Bisaya is the language that I actually speak.  Cebuano is just a dialect.  They have another dialect on Bohol but it isn't that much different so they just say bisaya.  Another dialect is Waray Waray. It is spoken in Tacloban but not everywhere. It isn't that hard to switch to these dialects but they are considered different.  What is really confusing is when they use tagalog.  I understand a lot of Tagalog but it is harder to speak. My companion has done many things like this before but this is just the most recent.  I love my companion.  He is very fun and he loves the gospel. I gave our Christmas card to my companion as a remembrance and he really liked it.  He always says that when we go home together he is just going to go to Idaho with me. Today for p-day we are going to SM which is a huge mall and it is a lot like an American mall.  I went there last week but not for too long.  We already played basketball this morning and I had an interview with my district leader. I do still have my first baptism scheduled for this Saturday.  He passed the interview just fine.   I know that we must rely on the spirit when we teach and that the spirit is the real teacher.  I know that all of these people are amazing because they are all children of God.  

Love


Elder Roskelley

No comments:

Post a Comment