Wednesday, October 2, 2013

# 11 It rains every day

Wednesday, Oct 2, 2013


Hey everyone
  I am doing awesome.  We are starting to get better numbers and more lessons.  This last week has been amazing.  Our district leader Elder P.  is going home on October 9 so this his last week.  We are working hard so that his district can have good numbers before he leaves.  He has taught me so much.  Everyone here is awesome too.  My companion is getting better and we are working together better.  We will watch general conference a week late.  I am about at my original weight.  Every morning I eat cereal or oatmeal and a mango or egg.  The mangoes are so delicious.  For lunch I usually have ramen and vegetables.  Our kitchen isn't great for cooking but it’s pretty good.  The best way I can describe how we live is by having you imagine a pretty clean garage with a tile floor.  It's not super clean but just clean enough to live in.  It is very interesting but many people here live in worse conditions.  For dinner we usually buy some bread from a local bakery because it is cheap and so good.  I wish America had more little bake shops.   We also have some other stuff too, like lots of rice.  I eat rice about once a day which isn't too bad.  There is never a shortage of rice.  I am doing very good right now but I don't have that hard of trials right now because the language is coming better.  Oh something super funny.  One of the object lessons that is told to missionaries is to show that family a picture of an ice cream cone with a cockroach on it.  It represents sin.  You ask the people if they would still eat it.  It looks very good but sin bites.  There is always a downside.  The family that this elder was teaching said that they would still eat the ice cream you just have to brush the cockroach off and then it is fine.  It ruined the object lesson.  There are a lot of object lesson that they teach us that are great for America but don't work for the Philippines.  It’s super funny.  Also while walking on the street we stopped to talk to this group of guys to share a small message about the Book of Mormon.  As we were walking away one of the men half drunken yelled out "I love you". These people are hilarious. Also most drunk people will speak English with us even if we speak Cebuano.  It's like beer makes you good at English.  I have met five Americans that live in this area that are retired.  None are in our area but we see them in the city every once in a while.  They like to talk to us because they can understand us. Well this is the Philippines, it rains every day. I love you all at home.  I hope you continue to grow and progress.  


Elder Roskelley 

No comments:

Post a Comment