Wednesday, September 4, 2013

# 7 First week in Cebu


Wednesday, September 4, 2013


Hello everyone. 

I miss you all so much and I am still having a hard time getting used to the adjustment.  Many of the people here are very poor and they really want to please us as missionaries but they aren't very good at keeping their commitments.  There is a lot of in-actives and it's sometimes hard working with the ward members but that is enough complaining for me.  I am learning to love these people and be patient with them and myself.  I am a little frustrated with the language but it is coming.  People still laugh at some of my attempts.  The thing that I can testify most about is change.  President Monson in his talk entitled "Finding Joy in the Journey" said that nothing in life is more constant than change.  I know this to be true and it is sometimes hard these changes that we have but they will never be anything like what the Lord went through for us.  He suffered more than we are able to and we should always look to him for help.  He will be there.  Another piece of advice that I have is read through President Monson's talk.  He talks about regrets.  We don't always realize what we have until it is gone. I realized that everything from work to trials to friends to people speaking english will always be taken for granted.  Enjoy the time you have now, where ever you are whether it be by a beach, in school, going through troubles at work or sitting in church.  There is always something to enjoy.  Squeeze every last drop out of joy out of every second.  My third piece of advise is to always try new things.  You will probably like the new things you try and you will grow by doing those things.  I know that the Lord knows and loves each one of us.  He will always be there.  I know that he died for our sins and that all he wants is for us to come closer to him and be more like him.  I know that we can never fully appreciate what God and Christ have done for us but we can show our gratitude by following their commandments.  I that as a missionary I am protected.  So I don't want anyone to worry.  
Love 
Elder Roskelley
This is the room where six of the eight missionaries sleep in our house, the bottom bunk is mine

This is the view out our bedroom window

This is the nicest car that I have seen. One night we stopped and talked to some guys that were smoking and drinking because they were restoring an old toyota celica. I got offered some alcohol and didn't realize it but instead of saying"no" I said "a little", then I quickly corrected myself, all of that was in cebuano.

One classic car I have seen

The other classic car I have seen

A cool truck

This is a jeepney, we fit 22 people into it

I met a Jehovah's witness today on the bus and he kind of wanted to argue. I told him about the Book of Mormon and told him I knew that it was true and invited him to church. After I did that he didn't want to talk any more, I did all of that in english because he spoke english and he approached me.

The view a couple of miles from our house.


No comments:

Post a Comment